Thursday, September 6, 2007

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


Just when you thought all of the summer squash was gone, along comes another wave!! Yes, that's right, I am once again drowning in squash from my CSA, with an enormous, nearly two foot long, courge longue de Nice as well as a bunch of yellow crooknecks and other squash. I need to do something other than ratatouille and other sauces, so I decided to do a chocolate zucchini cake. I guess this can not "technically" be called a zucchini cake as used half of the courge longue de Nice squash, but it is in the same family, so I am not being nit picky about it.

The recipe actually comes from Clotilde over at Chocolate and Zucchini, so I won't repost the recipe. However, I did not use her nutty topping, instead going with a chocolate fudge icing. The cake is moist and you can't taste the squash at all, so its a good way to use it up if you have a lot. It makes the cake nice and moist. The recipe for the icing is below, but I will say I only made a half batch and that was enough for one cake.

Chocolate Fudge Icing

1 stick butter
1/2 c. cocoa
1/3 c. milk
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla

Melt butter, add cocoa and boil 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Spread while warm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my favorite savory recipe for squash!!
1 summer squash, halved and sliced
1 zucchini, halved and sliced
1 pkg. mushrooms, sliced
1 sweet onion, cut into small chunks
1 red pepper, sliced
3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Put everything in a zip bag and let sit on counter at least one hour. Grill until soft, about one hour.
While I love this as a side dish, I really like using the leftovers to make wrap sandwiches (with feta or goat cheese), eggs, ets.
--Lisa
http://lisamikeplus3.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

You have great blog. Would you mind to have a link exchange with me?

Please email me if you are interested.

my email : kamarul[at]hoteltravel[dot]com

I'd like to exchange your link with our company website.

Thanks.

Note: You can delete this comment.