Thursday, June 21, 2007

Chicken, Fennel and Rapa Terrine with Drunken Figs


The inspiration for this meal came from the May 2007 edition of Food and Travel, a great UK magazine that combines two of my favourite things!! There are some really great recipes in this magazine, but I have to say this wasn't really one of them. In all fairness, I changed the recipe a lot, but I just think that a meat based terrine is just not my cup of tea.

Now, don't get me wrong, this was not a bad recipe, hence I am still posting it. The original was made with pork, fennel seeds and spinach, but I changed out the pork for chicken (as that's what I had), used fresh fennel instead of seeds and used Italian rapa greens from my CSA box instead of spinach. But really, you could use any greens you like I think (chard, kale, mustard greens etc). I also used prosciutto instead of streaky bacon and served the terrine warm instead of cold.

This was not a weeknight friendly meal and I had actually planned to make it last weekend. However, our kitchen renovation put the kibosh on that and I decided to make it tonight as I had a bit of extra time. Personally I don't think the effort was worth it, but I don't want to be so negative as to turn off anyone else who might like to make this dish.

Chicken, Fennel and Rapa Terrine with Drunken Figs
(serves 4)

2 bay leaves
150g prosciutto
200g Italian rapa, chopped (or any other leafy green)
2 tbs olive oil
1 small onion
1 small fennel bulb (or 1/2 a large)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
300g minced chicken
200g chicken breast, coarsely minced
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
20 dried figs, halved
1 cup Marsala wine

1. To make drunken figs, put the figs, Marsala and 4 tbs water in a saucepan and bring nearly to boiling point. Remove from heat, cover and leave to cool. Can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

2. Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Oil a small terrine or loaf pan with canola oil. Arrange the bay leaves on the bottom and then lay the prosciutto across the width. Put the rapa in a colander and pour over boiling water to blanch. refresh with cold water and squeeze out any excess and set aside.

3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over low heat and saute onion, garlic and fennel for 10 minutes, or until soft but not brown. Transfer to a large bowl with half the spinach, the chicken, nutmeg, allspice, salt and pepper. Mix together well.

4. Put half of the chicken mixture in the prepared terrine and press down firmly. Top with remaining spinach, then the remaining chicken mixture. Press down firmly, then fold over the overhanging prosciutto. Firmly cover with oiled foil and put in a baking dish. Fill the baking dish with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the terrine. Bake in the oven for an hour. Either serve warm, or place in the fridge with a weight on top for up to 2 days before serving.

5. Serve the terrine with drunken figs.

1 comment:

Janet said...

It looks fabulous in the picture! Figs are one of my favorite things!