Monday, July 16, 2007

Gnocchi with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto


I have had a packet of tri-coloured gnocchi from Wholefoods sitting in my freezer for a couple of weeks now and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it until I saw this recipe on the Taste website. It was a bit of a twist on a classic and was very tasty. I love pesto and I love sun-dried tomatoes, so I was very happy to combine the two. This dish was absolutely super and even hubby approved.



Gnocchi with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
(Serves 4)

1 red pepper
1 cup of fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
2 tbs pine nuts, toasted
6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
3 tbs tomato paste
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
150ml olive oil
1 packet of potato gnocchi

1. Place pepper, basil, garlic, pine nuts, tomatoes, tomato paste, chilli powder and half the parmesan in the bowl of a food processor. Process to combine, then slowly add the oil until a smooth sauce forms. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Pre-heat grill (broiler) to high. Cook gnocchi per manufacturer's directions, drain and toss with the pesto. Divide between 4 oven proof dishes, top with remaining cheese and grill for 2-3 minutes. Serve.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I love gnocchi, my favorite is with a gorgonzola cream sauce, but this looks like a much lighter alternative!

test it comm said...

This looks good and sounds really tasty. I like the use of chili powder for some heat.