Thursday, May 31, 2007

Shrimp and Chutney


Tonight's dinner was shrimp, which can only mean one thing!! Hubby has class and its seafood city for me :) This dinner was nice. Aside from the marinating it was really quick and tasty. The recipe however only allows 3 shrimp for each person, which seems like slim pickings to me. As a main, I doubled the number of shrimp for myself and that seemed to be a suitable number. Obviously if you made it, you could have however many you wanted.

The only changes I made to this recipe (from Cooking Light Grilling) were the marinating and the mango. It called for 2 hours in the fridge and I just didn't have the time for that today, as I got home later than I thought. I left it in there for an hour and that seemed fine to me. Its only in some oil, pepper and coriander, so I don't think another hour would have improved the flavor any....but that's just me. Also, I didn't have any mango chutney, so I just added some fresh mango.

This was a low calorie, low carb meal and left me feeling not too guilty about the dessert to follow (see above).

Black Pepper Shrimp with Cilantro-Coconut Chutney
(serves 2-4)

shrimp
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp canola oil
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 tsp salt
cooking spray
2 tbs fresh lime juice
chutney
1 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tbs flaked sweetened coconut
2 tbs fresh lime juice
1/2 cup mango
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp minced fresh green chili
1/4 tsp salt
2 cloves of garlic

1. To prepare the shrimp, combine the first three ingredients in a ziplock bag and add the shrimp. marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours.

2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat. Remove shrimp from bag, sprinkle with salt and then place on the grill which has been coated with cooking spray. Grill for 3 minutes on each side or until done, then drizzle with lime juice.

3. To prepare chutney, place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.

4. Serve shrimp over chutney.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hi Brooke - that looks absolutely mouth watering. I have no idea what I'm making for dinner tonight (hate that feeling), so I was excited to see I have all the ingredients needed to make this recipe except the mango... I have canned peaches, though - what do you think, would that wreck it?

B said...

Janet...thanks for the compliment! I think the mango gave the chutney a sweet flavor to contrast the heat of the chile, but you could probably even leave it out. Perhaps you could wiz everything in the processor, minus the fruit and try it. If you think it needs a little punch, add your peaches. I don't think they would ruin it, it will just depend on how sweet you want it, or if you want it sweet at all. Hope that helps and if you make it, I hope you love it :)