Sunday, April 15, 2007

Spinach and Sun-dried Tomato Frittata

I found the recipe for this frittata a couple of weeks ago on the self.com website and it is seriously some of the best eggs I have ever had. So tasty! I decided to make it for Sunday breakfast this morning and the best part is, it is only 289 calories for the entire serving (although I put a little cranberry and orange marmalade of my toast, for an extra 50 cals). The only thing I have found with this recipe is that the original baking time suggested is 12-14 minutes, however I think it needs a few more minutes in order to fully cook in the center. So I am going to suggest cooking it for 16-18 minutes.

Spinach and Sun-dried Tomato Frittata
(serves 4)

Cooking spray
2 tsp olive oil
1 small shallot, chopped
1 cup packed fresh spinach, chopped
4 whole eggs
4 egg whites
8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup asiago cheese, grated
2 tbs chopped fresh basil
1/4tsp salt
1/8tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 slices whole wheat toast
2 cups fresh berries

1. Heat oven to 425F. Coat small ramekins with cooking spray and set aside.

2. heat oil in a pan over medium heat, then cook shallots until soft, but not brown, 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Lightly whisk eggs and egg whites in a bowl. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, basil, spinach mixture, salt and pepper. Spoon into ramekins and bake for 16-18 minutes.

4. Serve with 1 slice of toast and 1/2 cup of berries.

No comments: