Friday, May 11, 2007

Leek Risotto with Lemon Fish



The last recipe this week from Donna Hay's Flavors....and yes I know its the end of the week, haha!! Next week will be more varied I promise.

One thing that my hubby loves for dinner is risotto. I can get him to eat almost anything in a risotto and I have even done an experiment with this in the past. He hates salmon...refuses to eat it. Yet, when I made salmon, cream cheese and dill risotto...believe it or not, he ate it!! And didn't complain...amazing. So anyway, when I saw this recipe with fish on a bed of leek risotto, I thought it would be a good way to get him to eat his omega 3's for this week.

This was a pretty simple recipe, the risotto obviously taking the longest amount of time to cook. But the fish only took 5 minutes and the whole dish was lovely and tasty. Hubby ate it, no complaints. The only change I made was to add some white wine to the risotto, which I think gives a nice extra bit of flavor to the dish. I also used flounder as my white fish, which is pretty flavorless as far as fish go....just the way hubby likes it :)




Leek Risotto with Lemon Fish
(Serves 4)

5 cups vegetable stock
2 tbs olive oil
3 leeks, sliced
2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup shaved or grated parmesan cheese
2 tbs lemon juice
cracked black pepper
lemon fish
2oz butter
2 tsp shredded lemon rind
2 tbs chopped flat-leafed parsley
4x6oz firm white fish fillets
2 tbs lemon juice

1. To make risotto, place the stock in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a slow simmer. Place the oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the leeks and cook for 6 minutes or until golden. Add wine and rice and stir for a minute or until rice is translucent. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot stock to the rice and stir constantly until the liquid has been absorbed. Repeat with cups of stock, until the rice is soft and creamy.

2. To make the lemon fish, heat the butter, lemon rind and parsley in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cut each fish fillet in half and add to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until tender, then pour over the lemon juice.

3. Stir the parmesan, lemon juice and pepper through the risotto and serve in bowls, topped with the fish. Serve with lemon wedges and extra parmesan cheese.

No comments: