Tuesday, April 24, 2007

'Lest We Forget

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.




Today is Anzac Day in Australia, the day where we commemorate the WWI diggers who landed in Gallipoli and fought so courageously and defined what it is to be an Aussie. I always like to make Anzac biscuits on April 25th and this year I am even more excited....albeit for a very silly reason...I finally found some golden syrup!! I have been looking for this all important Anzac Biscuit ingredient ever since I arrived Stateside and my supermarket finally stocked it only 2 weeks ago. I saw it and almost did a happy dance, proceeded to buy it even though I didn't know at the time what I would use it for. Then when I found my recipe for Anzac biscuits and remembered that it contained golden syrup...well...I was a very happy girl.



So what is an Anzac biscuit I hear you ask? This website outlines it very nicely, but basically the mothers and wives of the diggers devised the recipe so that it would provide ample nutritional value and would survive the long journey by boat across to the other side of the world. The recipe has never changed and not only was this a welcome gift for the diggers, but we have been left with a very yummy legacy that anyone can enjoy to this day. If you can't find golden syrup, you can replace it with corn syrup or honey, but it is definitely better with the golden-y goodness!!




Anzac Biscuits
(Makes 20)

1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
2/3 cup brown sugar
125g butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
2 teaspoons boiling water

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Place flour, oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl & mix well.

2. Place butter & golden syrup in a saucepan over medium heat & melt.

3. Place bicarbonate of soda in a small bowl & add water, stir to combine. Add bicarb mix to saucepan & stir. Pour over oat mixture & stir all ingredients together.

4. Roll teaspoons of biscuit mixture into balls & place on a greased & lined baking tray, leaving room for spreading. Flatten each ball gently with a fork. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown at the edges. Allow to cool slightly on trays before transferring to a wore rack.

2 comments:

Kajal@aapplemint said...

these look very scrumptious ... and i wouldn't ming eating a couple of extra cookies...they're healthy afterall !

Anonymous said...

These look great.
I've seen a lot of golden syrup around (in Conn.)
I think since everyone has become a 'foodie' it's really expanded the supermarkets and what they buy. (Lucky for us!)