Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Hay Hay its Donna Day #11 - Mousse


Having only started this blog a week or so ago, I am a little nervous to be entering my first blog "competition". I have been looking at past episodes and the entries are truly amazing. There are a lot of talented cooks out there!! So the Hay Hay its Donna Day event was started, and is run by Barbara over at the winos and foodies blog. This month it is hosted by Helen of Tartelette and the theme is "mousse"....whatever kind you like. Helen's inspiration recipe of white chocolate and blueberry mousse looked delicious, but I wanted to stay away from the chocolate mousses, as I thought there would be a lot of variations on that theme....not that there's anything wrong with that, who doesn't love a good chocolate mousse!!! I thought about doing a savory mousse, as I have very fond memories of my mothers Salmon mousse, from my childhood. But when I stumbled across this Key Lime mousse, it just seemed perfect.



This is my first time making a mousse, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It turned out to be pretty easy and straight forward and the tartness of the mousse was fantastic!! The texture was incredibly light and airy. I decided to substitute the coconut in the original recipe with graham cracker crumbs to make it more like a key-lime pie and I think that worked out great.



Key-Lime Mousse
(serves 4)

3/4 Cup fresh lime juice (preferably from key limes)
1 envelope unflavoured gelatin
4 large eggs, separated, at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream
extra whipped cream for topping
graham cracker crumbs for topping

1. Place 2 tbs of lime juice in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over and set aside to soften. Whisk yolks in heavy small saucepan to blend. Whisk in remaining lime juice, then 1/2 cup of sugar. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Pour into a large bowl and cool.

2. Beat 1 cup of cream in a medium bowl to form soft peaks. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff. Using clean beaters, beat egg whites in another bowl until soft peaks form. Fold whites into cream. Gently fold cream mixture into lime mixture. Divide among 4 glasses.

3. Cover and refrigerate until firm.

4. Top each mouse with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with graham crackers.

Source: adapted from http://fooddownunder.com

10 comments:

Helene said...

Wow...first time making mousse and first time participating...and a great job to boot! looks fantastic.

Shawnda said...

Your mousse screams "dessert" and "happy hour," all at the same time - that's hard to do :) Looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely amazing! I really like the way you served it as well.

Anna (Morsels and Musings) said...

this looks fantastic. the green is so vibrant and including the lime slices in the glass made it so cute.

key lime is so retro and so is the presentation. i love it!

welcome to the blogging world!

Barbara said...

We are honoured to have you join HHDD as your first blog event. You've started with a brilliant entry too.

Unknown said...

Lovely, Brooke!! Good to know you.

B said...

Thanks helene for hosting such a great event! And to shawnda, mellie, anna, barbara and arfi for being so welcoming and supportive :) I hope this will be the first of many entries!

Cheryl said...

I love this!! Looks like a margarita. Love the limes showing through the glass. Fantastic.

Katie B. said...

Awesome presentation - very creative! Key lime is my favorite pie, so I'll def. have to try this!

Dolores said...

Welcome to HHDD and the world of food blogging. If this entry is any indication, you'll fit right in. I love the smooth, clean flavors of key lime -- and how you've carried that through in your presentation. The martini/margarita glasses are a *great* touch. Looking forward to seeing more of what you have to offer!