Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Easy Paella



So once again, I am turning to the blog of Vicious Ange for my dinner selection tonight....the last one this week, I promise!! (I am living vicariously through her cookbooks...hahaha). She posted this recipe from Bill Granger and I just had to try it as I love love love Paella. Rich is not such a big fan, so when we go to restaurants, I can rarely order it, as you usually have to get it for 2. Having said that however, he liked this recipe....albeit after he picked out the prawns. I thought it was very tasty and easy to make. The only changes I made to the original were that I needed to add more stock, as the rice was still a bit crunchy after the original 2 cups was absorbed. I think I added another cup and that made it much better. I also didn't have enough chicken, so I used another chorizo sausage and that also worked out nicely. I highly recommend this recipe....delish!!




Easy Paella

(serves 4-6)

1 tbs olive oil
1 chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
1 onion, finely chopped
2 chorizo sausage, chopped
1 cup basmati rice
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 425g can of chopped tomatoes
1 red capsicum, chopped
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
3 cups chicken stock
250g prawns, peeled
1 425g cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
100g baby green beans, topped and chopped
2 tbs chopped cilantro

1. Heat oil in large, deep fry pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes, turning until golden brown and cooked through. Remove and set aside to drain on a paper towel.

2. Add the onion and the chorizo to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes until the chorizo begins to get crisp. Add the rice and turmeric, cook stirring for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes, capsicum, chilli and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.

3. Return the chicken to the pan with the prawns, cannelini beans and green beans. Toss and heat through for 1 minute. Stir in the cilantro and serve immediately.

No comments: