Thursday, May 10, 2007

Beef with Marinated Papaya and Green Chilli



This is the second time in 2 weeks that I had a recipe that called for green papaya. Last time was a bit of a disaster, as it was too ripe, so I made sure to buy a really dark green, hard one this time at the supermarket. Alas, it was still not green, but was less orange and still firm enough to julienne. So, whilst it was supposed to be green, it still tasted great and did not detract from the meal.

This recipe comes again from Donna Hay's Flavors....I wish I could promise the last one this week, but there is still one to come. Next week I promise a bit more variety......and was a fabulous summer meal. It is healthy, low calorie, low in carbs if you are worried about that sort of thing and super tasty. I would definitely make this again.

The only substitution I made was to use a red chilli instead of green, but that was because I seemed to have misplaced the green one I bought for this recipe. I have a horrible feeling I threw it out when I put the groceries away....damn those small chilli's!!



Beef with Marinated Papaya and Green Chilli
(Serves 4)

1 1/2lb rump steak, trimmed
oil for brushing
cracked black pepper
salad greens
marinated papaya and green chilli
11oz green (unripe) papaya
2 green chillies, seeded and chopped
1 cup shredded fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
3 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs sugar

1. To make marinated papaya and green chilli, finely shred the papaya and combine with chillies, mint, coriander, lemon juice, fish sauce and sugar. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes.

2. Brush the steak with oil and sprinkle with pepper. Cook the steak on a hot grill or BBQ for 2 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. To serve, place salad greens on plates. Slice the steak thinly and pile on top, then top with the marinated papaya. Serve with lemon wages.

No comments: