Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ravioli Amatriciana

So this week may not have been the best time to start this blog! After making a ham and a lamb roast over the Easter weekend for Rich's family, I had loads of leftovers and have been trying to use them up before they go off. So far this week I have made lamb souvlaki's and last night I did a ham and asparagus risotto.

Tonight I decided to throw together an Amatriciana-esque sauce using the ham instead of bacon to go with some lovely goats cheese and basil ravioli I bought from Wholefoods on the weekend. I usually try not to eat too much pasta, as it is fairly high in calories....however, having said that, I must confess that it is one of my favourite foods!! When I stumbled upon this ravioli a few months ago, I was very happy as it only 190 calories per serving...fantastic!

This sauce recipe is something that changes every time I make it, depending on what I have on hand. Sometimes I add chicken, or veggies or olives etc. Here is the basic recipe I used tonight.








Ravioli Amatriciana
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove mince garlic
1tsp dried oregano
splash of red wine (if you have some, which I did tonight)
1tbs tomato paste
4-6oz of thinly chopped ham (or bacon)
1 14oz (425g) Can of crushed fireroasted tomatoes
1 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1-2tbs chopped fresh basil
Shaved parmesan


1. Set pan to medium-high and spray with cooking spray. Saute onion for a couple of minutes until translucent. Add garlic and oregano and saute for a few minutes more. Add ham and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes.

2. Add in red wine, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir and then turn down heat to simmer for approx 10 minutes (this can be longer if you have time, the longer it simmers, the better it will taste).

3. In the meantime, cook the ravioli according to package instructions.

4. In the last minute, stir in basil, then serve ravioli with sauce. Garnish with shaved parmesan and sprig of basil.


No comments: