Thursday, April 19, 2007

Shrimp with Tarragon and Tomato Sauce



All I can say about this dish I made for dinner tonight is Wow!! A total surprise. I happened to pick up the April edition of Everyday with Rachel Ray at the supermarket the other week...something I have never done before. I actually like watching her 30 minute meals, but have never been compelled to read her magazine. I was given Rachel Ray's 365 No Repeats for Christmas 2 years ago and whilst the recipes seem good, most are very fattening, so I tend to steer away from her. However, I was bored and the promise of checking out some new recipes...even unhealthy ones...won me over at the checkout line. Well, this shrimp recipe looked tasty, healthy and easy, so I thought I would make it on a night when Rich was at class...i.e. tonight :) As I have mentioned in the past, Rich does not share my love for our shellfish friends....or as he calls them, cockroach of the sea.

Well, I was not prepared for the taste sensation that was to ensue!! There really are not a lot of ingredients, but I think the addition of the licorice-y tarragon really made the flavors soar. If you like shrimp and get the chance to make this dish....definitely try it, it won't disappoint :)




Shrimp with Tarragon and Tomato Sauce
(Serves 4)

3 tbs Olive oil
2 Carrots, finely chopped
2 ribs of celery, finely chopped
3 shallots, thinly sliced
6 white mushrooms, chopped
2 lbs large shrimp ,peeled and deveined
salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
One 15oz can tomato sauce
5-6 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves chopped
1 loaf peasant bread, thickly sliced
2 cloves garlic, smashed peeled and halved

1. Pre-heat the broiler. Ina large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, shallots and mushrooms and cook until tender, 7-8 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring a few times, until pink and almost firm, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in white wine, tomato sauce and tarragon and heat through for 1-2 minutes; remove from heat.

2. Toast bread slices in the broiler, rub with garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Serve the shrimp and sauce in shallow bowls with hunks of the bread for mopping.

No comments: