Monday, June 11, 2007

Linguine with Spicy Leek and Tomato Sauce


I found this recipe whilst looking for something to do with my CSA leeks.. It comes from the June edition of Bon Appetit and was perfect to utilize my leeks and also some locally grown tomatoes that I picked up at the market. I had originally thought I would end up doing a fritatta or a risotto with the leeks, but when I saw this recipe, I thought it was something a little different and really made great use of the fresh seasonal produce.

The result was a lovely, sweet and fresh pasta. A perfect spring/summer dish.

Linguine with Spicy Leek and Tomato Sauce
(Serves 4)

2 tbs olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
2 medium leeks, split lengthwise, sliced crosswise and rinsed to remove grit
1 1/4 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tbs white wine vinegar
12oz linguine
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, red pepper and fennel seeds and saute for 1 minute. Add the leeks and cook until they begin to soften. Add diced tomatoes and cook for another minute. Add wine and vinegar, bring to a boil, then cover and cook until tomatoes break down, stirring often, about 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, cook pasta per package directions. Drain and add pasta to the sauce in the skillet. Toss to coat, then add cheese and salt and pepper to season. Serve and garnish with a little more grated parmesan.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Hi Brooke - this looks fabulous, and I might even be able to trick my kids into thinking they are eating plain old spaghetti! BTW - I made your shrimp and chutney and loved it!