Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Tuna with Sorrel and Green Peppercorn Aioli



I received some sorrel in my CSA box this week and had no idea what to do with it. I had never even heard of sorrel before, so I set out on a quest to find out what it was and how I could use it. Turns out it is a herb (which I'm sure nearly everyone but me probably knew) and that it apparently tastes somewhat lemony. I read that I could use it in salad and that a lot of people will make sorrel soup. However, being summer and pretty hot, I didn't want to go the soup option, so when I found a recipe for sorrel and green peppercorn aioli by the New England Herb Company, I decided to go for it. I decided to serve it with grilled tuna and salad and it turned out great.

The green peppercorns gave this aioli a very spicy flavor which went perfect with the tuna. The salad was a watercress, carrot and capsicum salad that I found on the Taste website and utilized my CSA baby carrots. This was a super healthy meal and very fresh and tasty.




Grilled Tuna with Sorrel and Green Peppercorn Aioli

tuna
4 x 5oz tuna fillets
salt and pepper
aioli
1/2 cup sorrel
1 tbs parsley
1 clove garlic
1 shallot
1 tbs green peppercorns
1 tsp vinegar
1 egg
1 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

1. Prepare grill. Season tuna with salt and pepper, then grill a few minutes on each side, until desired doneness.

2. In blender combine first seven ingredients for ailoi and puree until blended. With blender running, slowly add oil until sauce thickens. Remove from blender and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready for use. Place a spoonful on top of tuna, or serve in a small ramekin on the side.

Watercress, Carrot and Capsicum Salad

1/3 cup currants
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup pistachio kernels
1 bunch watercress, washed, dried and sprigs picked
1 red pepper, halved, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil

1. Combine currants and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside for 15 minutes to soak.

2. Combine watercress, pepper and carrot in a large bowl. Add the oil and currant mixture, then top with pistachios. Toss gently to combine.

4 comments:

Janet said...

I have tried making aioli several times but I always end up with a lumpy, curdled mess. I stopped trying because I was wasting so much olive oil! This looks great!

Deborah said...

You are not alone - I have never heard of sorrel either!

pam said...

Looks good! Don't you love getting things in your CSA box that you would have never tried otherwise?

tacogirl said...

That looks so good.