Friday, June 15, 2007

HHDD #13 - Sorbet



When I saw that this month's edition of Hay Hay it's Donna Day, hosted by Laura over at Eat Drink Live, was sorbet I had mixed emotions. I do love sorbet, but how was I going to make it special.

Then, fortuitously, on the same day I got an email from my CSA farm (Even' Star Organic Farm) that said I would be receiving some lavender in this weeks share. It also stated that "foodies" might like to use it an ice cream recipe. Perfect!! I decided to use my lavender for this sorbet recipe and also serve it alongside some lavender and almond biscotti.

I love the smoky taste of lavender. My favourite tea is lavender Earl Grey and I make a killer lavender shortbread, if I do say so myself. It works really well in this milk and honey lavender sorbet, with the smokiness offset by the sweetness of the honey. There is also just a hint in the biscotti, which seems like the perfect accompaniment to his fabulous sorbet.




Milk and Honey Lavender Sorbet
2 cups whole milk
2 cups water
1 cup honey
1/4 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped
1 tbs dried lavender buds, slightly crushed
pinch of salt

1. Combine milk, water, honey, vanilla pod and seeds in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the honey. Bring to a boil, whisk in the lavender and salt, then remove from heat. Infuse mixture for 30 minutes, then strain through a fine sieve and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.

2. Transfer mixture to ice cream machine and freeze as per manufacturers instructions.




Lavender and Almond Biscotti
(Makes 30-40)

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
4 medium eggs
3 cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried lavender buds, finely ground
1/2 cup sliced almonds

1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Mix in extracts and eggs and blend until combined. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, lavender and almonds. Stir into sugar mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.

2. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Halve dough and turn out onto a cookie sheet. Dough will be sticky. Without handling dough excessively, pat the dough into two 13"x2" logs. Place the logs 3" apart. Smooth each log and place in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

3. Cool for 10-15 minutes and reduce oven temperature to 300F. After cooling, cut diagonally into 1/2" slices with a serrated knife. Lay slices on cookie sheet and return to the oven for 8 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for another 7 minutes until golden. Transfer to a rack and cool completely. Stores for up to one month in an air tight container.



(recipe adapted from http://www.gildedfork.com)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Brooke, so nice to discover you. I count this as yet another Melbourne food blog - and have posted accordingly at Oz Tucker at http://oztucker.blogspot.com/2007/06/melbourne-food-blogs-ex-pat.html.
Y'know I have never cooked anything with lavender in it. Will have to rectify that from your beautiful recipes.

Blessings and bliss

Laura said...

Beautiful and original Brooke I'm glad you were inspired to enter!

Thistlemoon said...

Beautiful job Brooke! That looks so refreshing!

Barbara said...

Lavender and milk sounds so pretty and delicious. Thanks for participating in HHDD.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

What a great sorbet! and some dipping cookies as a bonus.
Fun blog I'll be back!