Thursday, October 11, 2007

Apple-Cheddar Soup


This has been a crazy week weather-wise. We started off in the 90's and today was in the low 60's! A nice excuse to make some soup though. This recipe comes from this month's Better Homes and Gardens in a section on apple's. I have never even heard of apple-cheddar soup, but thought it would be fun to try...and I'm glad I did. This soup was actually delicious. Almost like having cheese fondue (one of my favourite things) for dinner, but not as bad for you!!

I decided to serve it with cheddar roles that I got from Shawnda at Confections of A Foodie Bride. My only problem was, I ran out of bread flour, so had to substitute one of the cups with some whole wheat flour. This made the roles a little heavier, but still delicious. A nice accompaniment to the soup.

This was a very "fall-inspired" recipe, that was great for a windy, autumnal day....enjoy!

Apple-Cheddar Soup
(Serves 4)

1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1tbs butter
2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups apple cider
1tsp snipped fresh thyme
1/2tsp salt
dash cayenne pepper
1 medium cooking apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup milk
2 tbs all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
fresh apple slices
green peppercorns

1. In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in potatoes, cider, thyme, salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chopped apple and simmer, covered, for another 5 minutes or until potato is tender.

2. In a small bowl combine milk and flour. Stir into soup and cook until bubbly. Slowly add cheese, whisking until cheese is melted. Divide evenly among serving dishes and top with apple slices and peppercorns.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! Do you have the nutritional info. available for it? I'm wondering how many calories are in each serving.

If you could email that to me at JillyWhip@gmail.com I would really appreciate it!!

Julie said...

What a delicious way to use up some of my apples, thank you.

Janet said...

This looks great. There is actually nothing I more more as a snack than just eating sliced apples with some sharp cheddar cheese. Combining them into soup is brilliant!

Anonymous said...

The soup was delicious! However, I did make a few changes. I didn't think the potatoes and apples cooked down enough, so I pureed the mixture between steps 1 & 2. This thickened the soup enough that I didn't need to use the flour in the milk as a thickening agent. In fact, the soup was too thick and I added 1/4 C more milk to get the consistency I wanted. Instead of garnishing with apple slices and green peppercorns, I slow-cooked onion slices until golden and floated those on top of each bowl of soup. Then I served it with Green Pepper Tabisco Sauce. This was the way Apple-Cheddar soup was served to me recently in a restaurant.