Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Chocolate Honeycomb Cupcakes



I'm having honeycomb overload!! Well...not really, but I do have a lot and wanted to use it up before it went soggy. So after introducing some of my work colleagues to the delights of honeycomb today, I decided to use some of the leftovers in these honeycomb cupcakes. I adapted a recipe I found on recipezaar.com, whilst they apparently got it from an Australian magazine called Super Food Ideas.




This recipe seemed perfect as 1) I had just about all of the ingredients and 2) They sounded absolutely scrumptious!! And they didn't disappoint. The cake part of the recipe was so light and airy with the honeycomb giving it an almost cloud-like texture. The dark chocolate on top brought to mind those most fabulous of candy bars...the Cadbury Crunchie...yum!!




Chocolate Honeycomb Cupcakes
(Makes 12)

60g Butter, softened
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg
3/4 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
approx 75g or 1 cup of honeycomb crumbs

Icing
100g dark chocolate
1/4 cup thickened cream

1. Pre-heat oven to 350F and line a 12 hole muffin pan with patty cases.

2. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar, then add vanilla and egg. Beat until well combined. Fold in half the flour and milk until mixture is smooth. Repeat with remaining flour and milk and stir until batter is smooth. Either chop or crush honeycomb and stir into batter. Three quarters fill each paper case with batter.

3. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then remove from oven. Leave cakes to cool in the pan for 10min and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

4. Icing: Combine chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring every half minute until smooth.

5. Spread icing on cupcakes. Sprinkle the cupcakes with some leftover honeycomb crumbs and top with with a small chunk of honeycomb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi...I made these and they were just delicious but they didn't make anywhere near enough for 12. I think I will double it next time. I also added in some dark cocoa powder. Thanks for the recipe. :)