Monday, June 25, 2007

Apple of My Eye


When I saw that this month's edition of Sugar High Friday was your favourite, most craved dessert, it took me all of about 2 seconds to know what I was going to make. Now don't get me wrong, I love all types of desserts from pavlova, to tarts, cakes, pies, ice cream, biscuits, scones.....you name it, I probably love it. I have a very over-active sweet tooth!! But invariably when we go out to dinner, I always scan the dessert menu for one thing...apple crumble!! If there is an apple crumble, or actually any kind of crumble, I am all over it. I love them....they could be of the crumble variety, the crisp variety, in peach, blueberry, strawberry, rhubarb.....but if there is an apple crumble, I cannot go past it.




Yet, I have never ventured to make my own version and figured this would be the perfect opportunity to give it a go. I did not find my recipe in any one place, instead borrowed lots of different bits from lots of different recipes to come up with my own. See, I love the cinnamon-y, apply goodness of the filling, but it has to have just the right crust and of course, caramel. It isn't as good as it can be without caramel, as apples and caramel are just a match made in heaven.

I really wanted to make my own vanilla ice cream to go with this as well, but unfortunately due to time restraints in the last couple of weeks, the props for the ice cream has to go to Mr Haagen Daas. Oh well, the rest is all me and can I just say....this crumble was really great. I have many in my time and I don't know if I would go as far as saying it is the best....but it sure is up there.

Thanks Jennifer for prompting me to come up with my own apple crumble recipe, so now I can enjoy it whenever the craving hits. Yum!!




Apple Crumble with Caramel Sauce
(Makes 6)

Apples
6-8 granny smith's, peeled, cored and chopped
75g unsalted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp allspice or nutmeg
2 tbs lemon juice
zest of one lemon
Crumble
50g pecans
50g rolled oats
1/2 cup self raising flour
100g melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch allspice
Caramel Sauce
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup evaporated milk

ice cream to serve

1. To make apples, melt butter in a deep pan over medium heat and add apple. Cook for 5 minutes or until they start to soften, the add brown sugar, lemon juice, zest and spices and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to 6 one cup capacity oven proof dishes.

2. For the crumble, process the pecans in a food processor until finely chopped, then combine with flour, oats, sugar and spices. Melt the butter and mix into the pecan mixture until all ingredients are moistened. Spread over apples and bake at 350F for approximately 40 minutes or until golden.

3. To make the sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter with the sugar and salt over medium heat. Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla and evaporated milk. Set aside and keep warm.

4. To serve, spoon vanilla ice cream over apple crumble, then top with caramel sauce.

1 comment:

Johanna GGG said...

my mum used to make apple crumble which I like occasionally but I love the idea of caramel sauce - never thought of this for a crumble but what an improvement!