Friday, May 4, 2007

Seared Tuna with Lime Crust



I always look forward to Friday night dinners, as I feel a sense of accomplishment. On Friday's I have managed to feed myself and my hubby for an entire week with pretty nice and healthy meals and my reward is usually to have dinner out on Saturday night...definitely something to look forward to. I love cooking, but who doesn't love to have someone else cook for them and wait on them...I sure as heck do!!

So anyway, down to tonight's "gourmet" offering. Its another dish from Donna Hay's Flavors....can you tell I am obsessed with this book yet?!! I decided to make the seared tuna with lime crust for two reasons. The first being that tuna is a fish I can usually get my picky hubby to eat and the second is that the pasta in the picture looked incredibly delicious and I happen to love love love pasta, as well as tuna, so it seemed like it would be a very yummy and healthy meal.

It certainly didn't disappoint. This was a fabulous dinner that was not too involved to make. It would have taken me even less time if I had have remembered to put the water on to boil for the pasta earlier than when I was ready to cook it. The marinade for the tuna is refreshing and delightful and the same marinade ends up in the pasta...very simple and tasty.




Seared Tuna with Lime Crust
(Serves 4)

12oz Tuna fillet
1 tbs grated lime rind
1/3 cup lime juice
1/4 cup finely chopped dill
2 tbs chopped flat leaf parsley
2 small red chillies, seeded and chopped
2 tbs olive oil
sea salt and cracked black pepper
14oz fettuccine
1 tbs olive oil, extra
3 1/2oz baby arugula leaves
extra lime juice and olive oil to serve

1. Place tuna in a shallow dish. Combine lime rind, lime juice, dill, parsley, chilli, olive oil, salt and pepper, then pour over the tuna to coat. Refrigerate for 20 minutes, turning once.

2. Cook the pasta until al dente and then drain. While the pasta is cooking, place the extra oil in a fry pan over high heat. Remove the tuna from the marinade and reserve the liquid. Cook the tuna for 1 minute on each side until well seared, then slice.

3. To serve, pile the pasta on serving plates and top with the arugula, sliced tuna and the reserved marinade. Drizzle with a little lime juice and olive oil before serving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this recipe... I loved it so much I have made it twice now! It is so easy and quick too. I made it when my friend came over for dinner, and it was perfect to leave marinating in the fridge and then only took a few minutes to cook. That gave me less time in the kitchen and more time with my friend, yet was tasty and looked impressive! A fave!

Anonymous said...

Brooke - Thankyou!!! I am an Aussie girl living in SF... I have a friend coming over for dinner on Friday and I desperately wanted to cook my favourite dish from Donna Hay Flavours... but of course didn't bring the cookbook with me when I moved. I googled it and low and behold found your blog and the recipe! Thanks - will be cooking it on Friday night and will let you know how it goes ;-)