Monday, May 7, 2007

Chorizo and Herb Chickpea Salad



Tonight's dinner is once again care of last months Donna Hay magazine (Issue 31) and I was very excited to try it, as I have recently purchased some Spanish Chorizo online from iGourmet. The chorizo I can buy at my local supermarket is not the same as that found in Australia and Europe, so I was very happy to be able to try this "real" chorizo in a recipe that also contained another one of my favourite ingredients...Couscous. Apparently in America, chorizo comes mainly from Mexico and is more akin to a bratwurst sausage with different spices, then the Spanish chorizo, which is pre-cooked and ready to slice...almost salami-esque.

Here is what my good friend Wikepedia has to say about the matter:

"Chorizo is a term encompassing several types of pork sausage originating from the Iberian Peninsula and known as chouriço in Portugal, which have in common the use of dried, smoked red peppers (pimentón) to colour them red. It can either be a fresh sausage, in which case it must be cooked, but in Europe it is more frequently a fermented cured sausage, in which case it is usually sliced and eaten without cooking."

Now, as I love almost all cured meats, I was very much looking forward to trying this tasty dish. And it did not disappoint. The chorizo was delicious and the mint and onion gave a freshness to the dish. This recipe made a huge batch, much more than the 4 serves that it said. This easily gave me about 6-8 serves. I served it with yesterdays focaccia bread, warmed in the oven and it made for a lovely meal. It was super quick too, which is perfect for a Monday when I get home from the gym a little late.




Chorizo and Herb Chickpea Salad
(Serves 4)

3 tbs olive oil
4x 100g(3 1/2oz) chorizo sausages, sliced
2x 14oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked couscous
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 cup mint leaves
1 red onion, sliced
sea salt and cracked black pepper

1. Heat a large non-stick pan over high heat. Add 2 tsp of the oil and the chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Drain on absorbent paper.

2. Place the chorizo, chickpeas, couscous, chilli, mint, onion, salt, pepper and remaining oil in a bowl and gently toss to combine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, talk about getting the munchies! Chorizos are my absolute favourite kind of sausage and I'm always looking for new ways to use it - looks like I've found another to add to the 'must try' list!

Truffle said...

This looks absolutely wonderful. I have to try it soon!

Anonymous said...

That looks great!
Make sure you swing by CouponMeUp.com before you shop online at igourmet to get the latest discounts ;)

Keep up the great cooking!