Saturday, May 26, 2007

Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream



This recipe comes from David Lebovitz's new book, The Perfect Scoop. I picked up some fresh strawberries at the Farmer's Market this morning and decided to use some of them to make some ice cream.



I would never have thought to put sour cream in ice cream and certainly not in combination with Strawberries, but the flavor is really delicious and fresh. This was a fabulous ice cream and I don't think it will last long!! This is the first recipe I have made from my new purchase and I can't wait to try the some others. This is truly a great resource for ice cream recipes.




Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream
(Makes about 1 1/4 quarts)

1lb fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
3/4 cup sugar
1tbs vodka
1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

1. Slice strawberries and toss in a bowl with sugar and vodka, stirring until sugar begins to dissolve. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring every so often.

2. Pulse the strawberries and their liquid with sour cream, heavy cream, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor until almost smooth but still slightly chunky.

3. Refrigerate for 1 hour, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

1 comment:

test it comm said...

I just picked up an ice cream maker. The use of sour cream in the ice cream sounds really interesting. I will have to try this.