Thursday, May 10, 2007

Cinnamon Mascarpone Ice Cream


Believe it or not, I have never had mascarpone cheese before....yet, I hear people rave about it all the time. I figured it was time that I came out of the dark and saw for myself what all the fuss was about!

I had seen a recipe in Donna Hay's Flavors for cinnamon and mascarpone cheese ice cream and decided to give it a whirl. I had some cream in the fridge that I needed to use and I was keen to give my ice cream machine another workout.

Well, let me just say this is the richest ice cream I think I have ever tried. It so full flavoured and creamy, yet the mascarpone gives it just the right intensity so that the buttery flavor does not send you over the edge. This ice cream is incredible!!

I decided I wanted to make into a sandwich and whilst in a perfect world, I would have come home from work and baked up a batch of cookies to assemble my sandwich, today, that was just not going to happen. So the lovely picture below is made care of our friends at Pepperidge Farm and their Molasses Cookies, which sandwiched the ice cream perfectly for a truly decadent dessert. In the word's of Rachel Ray....yummo!!!



Cinnamon and Mascarpone Ice Cream
(Serves 6)

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups water
2 tsp cinnamon
14oz mascarpone
1/2 cup cream

1. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 3 minutes, then remove from heat, add the cinnamon and leave syrup to cool.

2. Mix the syrup with mascarpone and cream. Place in an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions until ice cream is thick and scoopable.

3. To make sandwich's, scoop ice cream between your favourite cookies and serve.

1 comment:

test it comm said...

Another interesting sounding ice cream. I will have to try an ice cream with mascarpone cream.