Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Grilled Peaches and Pork


I have a confession to make. Although I feel pretty competent around the kitchen, I am terrified of the BBQ (or grill depending on how you like it)! Its silly I know. This is just another cooking device that is not in the least bit scary...unless you have an unfortunate accident combining the gas with an open flame....however, I always defer to my lovely husband when it comes to cooking on it. I marinate the meat and when the time comes, dutifully turn it over with instructions on cooking time. He trots outside to become one with the BBQ for a few minutes then brings the meat back in when its done. Not that he really knows what he is doing either. I am by no means calling my hubby incompetent, its just that we don't tend to grill all that much and I think he knows about as much as me.

I don't know where my fear comes from. I suspect that it is an eagerness to please and I am afraid that the meat I cook out there will be tough and rubbery, rather than tender and juicy. This summer however, I am determined to overcome my fears and become master of the grill....well, I'll settle for being halfway competent...but you get the point.

I went out and purchased a book on grilling with loads of pictures and recipes (I am sure you'll be seeing a lot from there over the summer) and also found the Cooking Light Grilling magazine at the supermarket, which I also purchased. I pledge that our BBQ will not be just for steaks and chops any longer.

So tonight's recipe comes from the aforementioned Cooking Light Summer Grilling magazine and it is the cover recipe. In fact, the cover recipe was one of the reasons I purchased this magazine, because it looked really delicious....and, I am happy to say, it was really delicious. The recipe was for grilled pork with grilled peaches and it was very tasty. It would probably be even better if we were in peach season and I guess that is why everyone advocates seasonal produce...but I couldn't wait until the fall to try this. Even with the out-of-season peaches, this recipe was really great and very healthy, with each serve coming in at only 216 calories. You can't beat that!!

Grilled Peaches and Pork
(Serves 4)

4x4oz boneless center cut pork loin chops
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
2 tbs fresh lime juice
3 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
4 large peaches, peeled, halved and pitted
cooking spray
6 cups arugula
1 tsp turbinado (raw) sugar

1. Pound each piece of pork to 1/4 inch thick, using a mallet or skillet.

2. Combine 2 tbs vinegar, juice, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl. Reserve 1 tbs of vinegar mixture. Pour remaining vinegar mixture in a large zip-lock bag. Add pork, seal and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour, turning bag occasionally.

3. Prepare grill to medium heat. Place peaches, cut side up on a plate and drizzle with remaining 2 tbs balsamic vinegar.

4. Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray, grill for 3 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer registers 160F. Set aside.

5. Place peach halves, cut side down on grill rack and grill for 4 minutes. Turn and cook a further 2 minutes or until heated through. Cut each into 4 slices. Slice pork into strips.

6. Drizzle arugula with reserved vinegar mixture, tossing to coat. Divide arugula among 4 plates. Top with pork and peach slices, then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Hi Brooke - laughed at your description of the BBQing "division of labour" in your home. It's the same at my house. Only, my husband then tries to take credit for the entire meal! That recipe sounds and looks great.