Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Chicken and Caramelized Pineapple Pizza


There are 2 different types of people in this world. Those that like pineapple on their pizza and those that don't. It doesn't seem to me that there are too many in between. People who are "anti- fruit on their pizza" are violently opposed to the addition of pineapple and will never be swayed.

Me...I am on the side of the pineapple lovers. Please no hate mail...there is room in the world for all of us!. One of my favourite types of pizza is the Hawaiian, so when I saw this recipe for chicken and pineapple pizza in Trish Deschain's book "Caramel", I knew I would love it. I wasn't sure about hubby, but he surprisingly liked it and that means quite a lot, as he is the biggest pizza snob I know.

A couple of things about my version of the pizza. I did not use a typical pizza base, but instead used individual pita pockets. They are a little healthier than a regular pizza base. The recipe also called for smoked chicken, which I didn't have. I did however, have a leftover chicken breast, so this was a great way for me to use that.

Never one to just throw a piece of pizza on a plate and call it dinner, I added a salad to at least try and make this meal more healthy. All in all a very yummy meal. The caramelized pineapple was fabulous, so if you do not sit in the "anti-fruit" camp, definitely try this!

Chicken and Caramelized Pineapple Pita Pizza
(Makes 2)

2 pita pockets
4 tbs tomato paste
1 chicken breast
1/2 pineapple
2 tbs butter
2 tbs granulated sugar
4oz fresh mozzarella

1. Pre-heat the oven to 425F. Place pita pockets on a baking sheet with non-stick paper. Spread over 2 tbs of tomato paste on each pocket.

2. Dice chicken finely, then saute in cooking spray for a few minutes until browned. Set aside. Add butter to pan and melt. Add pineapple and saute for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally. Whilst pineapple is cooking, add sugar and continue to stir so that the sugar caramelizes. Continue cooking until caramel thickens.

3. Sprinkle chicken evenly over pita pockets. Add pineapple, then spread sliced mozzarella evenly. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Don't let the pineapple burn.

4. Serve with salad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like the perfect pizza topping to me. I love the idea of using a pita instead of pizza crust. Delicious!

Cara said...

That looks delicious! I have never gotten into pineapple on pizza because I do not eat pork and most have some kind of pork product on there. But this sounds great. I have been reading your blog a lot lately, it's wonderful!