Monday, July 9, 2007

Pollo in Padella



This literally means chicken braised in the pan and the recipe comes from the Vol 4, Issue 5 of Delicious magazine, the Italian edition.

This was the perfect meal for a night like tonight, where we were both coming and going at different times. I made this dish in 30 minutes after work, then was able to let it sit on the stove, to be reheated when hubby got home from class and then again when I got home from the gym. The beauty of this type of meal is that it just gets better with time. Its lovely and healthy too and super tasty. I highly recommend for any night, but especially a busy one.

The only changes I made to this were to keep the sauce ingredients the same, but to halve the chicken to make 2 instead of 4 serves. We tend to like a lot of sauce on our pasta and our chicken, so if you are like me and want more sauce, then I would either halve the chicken like I did, or double the sauce and keep the chicken the same. If you are a true Italian who likes your sauce as a condiment, then follow the recipe as is. Enjoy!!




Chicken in Padella
(Serves 4)

1/4 cup plain flour
pinch of dried oregano
4 chicken thighs and 4 drumsticks
20g unsalted butter
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion halved, sliced
150ml dry white wine
400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 large fresh tomato, chopped
1 tbs tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tbs salted capers, rinsed and drained
100g mixed black and green olives
1 tsp castor sugar
2 tbs parmesan cheese
2 tbs oregano leaves

1. Mix the flour with the dried oregano and then lightly dust the chicken with the flour. Melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat in a large based fry-pan. Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time, brown well for 2-3 minutes on each side, then remove and set aside.

2. Drain excess fat, then add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until golden. Add the wine and bring to a boil, stirring. Boil for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and tomato paste, garlic, capers, olives, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then return chicken to the pan. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

3. Serve scattered with parmesan and fresh oregano.

2 comments:

Janet said...

This looks really fabulous! I'm assuming that you left the skin on the chicken? That's something I try not to do too much, but its soooo good!

B said...

hi Janet - yeah, this was even better than I thought it would be. I'm like you, I don't like the skin on the chicken and in this case I took it off. You could leave it on if you wanted to, but I like to try and be as healthy as possible when I can :)