Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sugar High Friday #30 - Flower Power



I am very excited to be putting in my first ever entry for Sugar High Friday. This month, the blog event is being hosted by Monisha over at Coconut Chutney and the topic is flower power. I thought this was a fabulous topic given that spring is (at least supposed to be) upon us....as I stare out at the cold, rainy day outside...haha. When I first read the topic I was a little stumped at what I could do....but it only took me a second to realize I had the perfect entry!!

About a year ago, when I was researching favors for our wedding in Hawaii, I came up with this crazy idea that people might be interested in some really different flavored shortbread. I had a little business idea in the back of my mind for a few weeks, but then came crashing back to reality with the realization that I am not a professional baker and do not have the skills or expertize (or access to a very large, industrial kitchen) to pull off such a venture. However, before this little piece of reality bit me on the backside, I invested some time into coming up with what I thought (in my own little universe) some interesting ideas for shortbread recipes. Turns out, they weren't so crazy and that other people, namely my hubby and others in my family who I subjected to my cookies, actually really liked them. Hence for the first time, I share my recipes for both Hibiscus High Tea shortbread and Lavender Shortbread.


These 2 flavors are very different from one another, but are really spectacular and very surprising. When you bite into the buttery shortbread, your taste buds are delighted by the tangy, almost citrus flavor of the hibiscus and the almost smokey flavor of the lavender. You really have to experience it to truly appreciate how great these cookies taste. I think they are made even more adorable cut into the shape of daisies....like I said, the perfect recipes for a Flower Power themed SHF!!! Enjoy!! :)

Hibiscus High Tea Shortbread

1 stick of butter
1 cup plain flour
1/8 cup of corn starch
1/4 cup fine sugar
1 tbs Honey
pinch of salt
2 bags of Hibiscus Tea

1. Pre-heat oven to 300F. Cream butter and sugar, then mix in honey and vanilla.

2. Mix dry ingredients together and then mix into the butter mixture until combined into a ball of dough.

3. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut into desired shapes.

4. Cook for approx. 30min, turning 180 degrees halfway through baking, to ensure even color.


Lavender Shortbread

1 stick of butter
1/4 cup of fine sugar
1 cup of plain flour
1/4 cup of cornstarch
pinch of salt
1 tsp of Lavender
1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Pre-heat oven to 300F. Cream butter and sugar, then mix in vanilla and lavender.

2. Mix dry ingredients together and then blend into the butter mixture until combined into a ball of dough.

3. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut into desired shapes.

4. Cook for approx. 30min, turning 180 degrees halfway through baking, to ensure even color.

4 comments:

Helene said...

Looks absolutely fantastic! Great flavors combos. I'll make sure to try them!

Anonymous said...

I really need to find hibiscus tea ! Congrats for this great recipe !

Maria of Passion Fruit & Mangos said...

Yum, your shortbread look so elegant and delicious. I do enjoy unique cookies and shortbreads, especially when flowers are involved! I'll have to give your recipe a try sometime.

B said...

Thanks Helene, I hope you also like the flavors!

foodie froggy, you can find hibiscus tea blends at most grocery stores, hope you enjoy them :)

thanks for the compliments maria!