I was quite proud of our dinner tonight as nearly everything was either from our CSA, the local farmers market or my own garden. I made Grilled Onion and Steak Sandwiches from the Cooking Light Grilling magazine, with corn on the cob and a creamy potato salad with lemon and fresh herbs from the July edition of Bon Apetit magazine.
This was a great meal, as everything was grilled (yes, I even boiled potato's on the grill), because we just got our new oven and it is not yet hooked up. The steak was actually marinated in cola (two of the things that came from the supermarket) which made it really tender and very tasty. The potato salad was lovely and fresh, not at all heavy like some can be and the potatoes themselves came from our CSA farm and were incredibly tasty. The corn was from the farmers market, so was about as fresh as it gets.
The onions were supposed to be vidalia onions, however to buy these locally I would have had to go to Georgia. Only onions grown within a few miles of the town of Vidalia can be called vidalia onions, so there is no way I can get them locally. However, I did buy some beautiful spring onions at the farmers market, which are pretty much identical to vidalia onions. Just as nice, but I think even better as I was able to support the local farming community by purchasing them. All in all a wonderful summer meal with nearly everything purchased from within a few miles of our house. I feel like that's something to be proud of.
Grilled Onion and Steak Sandwiches
3/ cup cola
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 pound flank steak
3/4 cup minced arugula
1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
6 thick slices of onion
6 kaiser rolls
12 slices tomato
1. To prepare steak, combine first 7 ingredients in a ziplock bag and add steak. Seal and marinate in the fridge for 2 hours. Remove steak from bag, reserving marinade in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave marinade on high for 2 minutes or until it boils. Set aside.
2. Prepare the grill. Prepare the dressing by combining arugula and mayonnaise. Set aside.
3. Place steak on the grill and grill for 8 minutes on each side, or until medium-rare (or desired doneness). Remove steak from the grill and cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Place onions on the grill rack and grill 4 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Place rolls on the grill rack, cut side down and grill for 2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
4. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Spread 2 tbs of of mayonnaise on bottom half of roll. Divide steak, tomato and onion evenly among rolls. Place top half of roll on top and serve.
Creamy Potato Salad with Lemon and Fresh Herbs
3 pounds of potatoes
3 tbs rice vinegar
3/ cups of mayonnaise (I used low fat)
3 medium green onions, thinly sliced
1 celery stalk, cut into 1/3 inch cubes
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tbs fresh chopped dill
1 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1. Bring potatoes to a boil in a large pot of water. reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender. Drain and then let stand until cool enough to handle.
2. Cut potatoes into 3/4 inch pieces. Place 1 layer of potatoes in large bowl and sprinkle with some vinegar and salt and pepper. Continue layering potatoes with vinegar, salt and pepper. Add all remaining ingredients and toss. Season with salt and pepper.