Friday, June 8, 2007

Coconut Blackberry Slice



Considering I am home today waiting for our air conditioner to be repaired and it is close to 100 degrees (F), it is probably not a wise thing to do some baking. But I have been waiting all week to make this slice, so I wasn't going to let a little heat drive me out of the kitchen!

This recipe comes from Bill Granger's Bills Food and is found in the afternoon tea section of the book. I just love that he includes recipes for afternoon tea! Something I definitely miss here in America. When I was doing my PhD in Melbourne, me and all of my lab mates would trot off to the break room for afternoon tea (or sometimes morning tea.....and shamefully sometimes both!) and spend fifteen minutes having a lovely old chat, sometimes with something yummy to accompany our tea or coffee.

Ahhh, memories :)............

Anyway, back to the slice. This almost turned into a disaster as I had made the crust with 4 1/2 tablespoon of butter, instead of the required 4 1/2 oz (big difference), but realized my mistake before it was too late and re-made the base before assembling and placing in the oven...whew, crisis averted. Actually, it probably wouldn't have been a crisis, because what I had made was very much like a shortbread crust, instead of the more cake like crust in this recipe. It may have been different, but probably would have tasted alright. I will never know though, as I managed to get it right and the outcome was lovely. This slice is not sickeningly sweet, with blackberries giving it a little bit of tartness against the sweetness of the jam and coconut. Lovely!! This would have gone down a treat in the break room, but instead, I will enjoy it whilst I swelter in this very warm day without my air conditioner.




Coconut and Blackberry Slice
(Makes 12-16)

base
4 1/2 oz unsalted butter
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk
filling
1/2 cup blackberry jam
1 cup blackberries
topping
3 1/2 oz unsalted butter
5tbs castor sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups dessicated coconut
1/2 cup all purpose flour

1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. To make base, cream the butter and sugar, then add egg and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and stir in with the milk. Flour your hands and press the base evenly into a greased, lined 12"x8" baking tin. Spread the base evenly with the jam and sprinkle with blackberries.

2. To make the topping, cream the butter and sugar, then add the egg and beat until combined. Stir in coconut and 1 tbs of sifted flour, then the remaining flour. Spread the topping evenly over the blackberries.

3. Bake the slice for approx.30-45 minutes (depending on your oven) or until the top is golden. Cover with foil and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Cut into slices.

4 comments:

jewellspring said...

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying afternoon tea in America! That must change!! Is it the people or the place that's keeping you from continuing the ritual?

How wonderful that you like to cook. It looks delicious. Too bad we're on different coasts, as I would enlist you. If you visit my blog, you'll learn baking is not my favorite thing.

Anonymous said...

that looks awesome! And it is sweltering here too. i wish i could just serve blog pictures for dinner.. :)

Johanna GGG said...

hi brooke - I really like your blog but can't remember if I have commented on previous visits - your reminisces brought back memories of a lab where I worked as a student in Melbourne where we possibly had the best morning teas I have had - especially when we had death by chocolate morning teas - most excellent - I love the look of your slice - seems a variation on one called matrimonial slice which I think is such a lovely name!

B said...

tea party girl - I think it just not the culture here, at least in the northeast where its go go go all the time :)

marye: thanks so much for your comment!

johanna: that is a great name for a slice :) Your blog is fabulous, we all need to be a little (well...a lot) more green!