Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Spring..ehhh....Egg Rolls


Ugh, tonight was one of those nights that we should have got take away! I had seen some lovely looking spring rolls on the blog Definitely Not Martha and wanted to make them. I am not very savvy when it comes to asian food, as we never had it growing up (mum is not a fan), but this looked fairly straight forward....and it would have been, had I not thought that egg roll wrappers were the same thing as rice paper wrappers. Oh well, you live and learn.

When I opened up the package I thought the wrappers looked distinctly doughy and upon closer inspection of the ingredients, there was no mention of rice. So, I quickly realized that they needed to be fried. I was not happy. I don't own a fryer...we never fry food in our house. So, I pulled out the wok, poured in some canola and fried my little spring/egg rolls. Then I drained them on some paper towel and served with a peanut sauce.

The verdict:...They weren't horrible. In fact, some might say they were even pretty good, but I wasn't too happy about the fat content of tonight's dinner as this was supposed to be a really healthy meal.



No point dwelling on it though.....tomorrow is another meal. I am not posting the recipe of this, but if you want to check out the spring rolls on Definitely Not Martha, then click here.

No comments: